Vaughan café shooting that killed 2 likely not random, police say
The shooting yesterday at the Moka espresso bar in Vaughan, Ont., that left two people dead and injured two others does not appear to be random, police say.
"We have no information to believe that this was a random person that approached the café and started shooting," Const. Andy Pattenden of York Regional Police told CBC Metro Morning host Matt Galloway early Thursday.
Christopher de Simone, 24, a
regular café patron, and
Maria Voci, who worked at
the eatery, were killed. The
two other men injured in the
shooting are still in
hospital. As of Wednesday
night, one man was in
and the other was in stable
Maria Voci, 47, an employee at the Moka espresso bar who was killed in the shooting, is survived by three sons, according to a friend and neighbour. (Facebook)
Police are still hunting for a man wanted in connection with the shooting.
Pattenden said the suspect is a dark-skinned man, who fled the scene in a dark-coloured compact car.
Pattenden said police are combing through security footage from cameras mounted on the building, located in a strip mall. He urged residents to contact police with any information that may be related to the shooting.
Police are canvassing the area, have spoken to people at local businesses and are doing road-side checks.
"Our investigators with our homicide unit are out at that scene again this morning [Thursday] conducting a roadside canvas, so they're basically stopping all the vehicles travelling in that area right now and talking to anyone that might have seen anything suspicious taking place in that plaza yesterday morning at this time, or any information on ... a suspect vehicle," said Pattenden.
The area has been subject to violence in recent years: there have been four shootings in the past couple of years, two of them related to organized crime.
Pattenden said the region is one of the safest in the country, despite Wednesday's violence.
"A significant amount of resources were deployed immediately into area to make sure the area was safe," he added.
2 arrested in province-wide human trafficking investigation
Two people face a total of 41 charges after a two-day province-wide human trafficking investigation.
Police said ‘Operation Northern Spotlight’ took place on June 17 and 18.
A multi-jurisdictional police team rescued six girls who had been working in the sex trade as a minor or against their will, raging in age from 14 to 19 years old.
The charges laid against the two people include trafficking in persons under 18 years, sexual assault, benefit from trafficking in persons under 18 years as well as several child pornography charges.
Man stabbed in the neck near Jane & Lawrence
Police have arrested a man in connection with a stabbing in the Jane Street and Lawrence Avenue West area.
Emergency crews were called to a parking lot on Jane around 1 a.m. Saturday.
The male victim suffered a stab wound to the neck and was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries. Police said his condition has now stabilized.
There has been no word on charges.
Swimming instructor charged with sexually assaulting 7-yr-old boy
A man who worked as a swimming instructor at multiple Toronto pools has been charged in connection to an alleged sexual assault of a seven-year-old boy.
The sexual assaults occurred between 2013 and 2015.
The assaults stopped once the child stopped attending swimming lessons at the pool.
Police believe there may be more victims as the accused had access to other children in the community.
The accused worked as a swimming instructor in Toronto for a number of years. He worked at Zodiac Swim Club at both the 160 Steeprock Drive and 318 Lawrence Avenue East locations.
He also worked for Felix Swim Club at three locations including 64 Baldwin Street, 181 Broadview Avenue and 315 Osler Street.
Oscar Piedrasanta, 49, of Toronto was charged with sexual assault, sexual interference and sexual exploitation on Thursday.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-2922
or Crime Stoppers at 416-222-TIPS (8477).
At a CATHOLIC school ? ? ?
15-year-old in custody after high school student stabbed
A teenager was taken to hospital after a fight at a Whitby high school Tuesday morning, and another was arrested.
Police were called to Father Leo J. Austin Catholic Secondary School, near Anderson St. and Dryden Blvd. just before 9 a.m.
A 14-year-old had been stabbed in the back of the neck with a metal file during an altercation, according to Durham Region police Sgt. Bill Calder.
Two teenagers, both students at the high school, were the only people involved. A 15-year-old male was taken into custody by police after the victim was taken to hospital
Calder said police expect to lay charges.
The school was briefly placed under a hold-and-secure Tuesday morning, and counselors were made available to any students that felt traumatized by the events.
No one else was hurt during the altercation.
Ontario man pleads guilty to sexually assaulting children, bestiality
An Ontario man who urged his
girlfriends to kidnap
children from a playground
so he could drug and rape
them pleaded guilty to a
slew of sex offences in
Shayne Lund, 23, of Midland, was initially charged with more than 100 counts, but the charges were reduced to 34, including sexually assaulting small children, creating child pornography and committing bestiality.
Lund and his girlfriend, Avery Taylor, 21, were arrested in October 2013 after a teen complainant went to police. Soon after, cops arrested a third woman, an occasional girlfriend of Lund's, Kathryn Thompson, 21, of Orillia, Ont. The women have pleaded guilty to similar charges.
Most of the troubling details of the case were revealed during the bail hearings and a preliminary hearing, which are no longer under publication bans, although the identity of the victims are protected.
Investigators uncovered photographs on cellphones showing children aged between two and five nude in various positions.
Police also found text conversations between the three accused, where Lund would repeatedly ask the girlfriends to get him access to small children so that he could "drug and rape" them.
"Get me a little 'un," Lund would text.
"I'm trying," Taylor responded.
"You're always promising," Lund responded. "You've been saying that for a year."
In another series of texts, Taylor asked Lund to kidnap a child.
"I dare you to get a child from a playground," Taylor texted Lund, court heard.
"I will," Lund answers.
"Pick them young enough so they don't remember," Taylor suggested.
"These are sick, sadistic thoughts," Crown attorney Indy Kandola said. "They're talking about abducting, drugging and raping random little kids."
The Crown argued Lund used the women to help him get access to kids. Defense lawyers for Taylor and Thompson argued they were "puppets on a string" who tried to please Lund so he wouldn't leave.
Neither knew at the time Lund had been engaging in sexual relationships with a long list of other female teens.
Lund's appetite for sex seemed to be insatiable, according to testimony heard in court -- often he would have sex with two or three of them in one day. He would relay to them his interest in children and animals, but he didn't get the results he got from Taylor and Thompson.
The case will be back in court for sentencing June 22.
Toronto man charged in child luring investigation
The Toronto Police Sex Crimes Child Exploitation section has charged a Toronto man in connection with a child luring investigation.
The arrest happened on Thursday in the Queen and Bathurst streets area.
Investigators say a man was communicating with a 13-year-old boy, and made arrangements to meet up for a sexual purpose.
Dean Dickson, 24, is charged with several offences, including luring a child under the age of 16 and accessing child pornography.